Why has their image become more important?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why has their image become more important?

Post by sergius on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:45 pm

I was trying to make a signature for the forum and I wanted to do a mosaic with all their singles, so I collected them all and then after finishing the signature I noticed how the covers of their works have been evolving since the start of the band.

Their first singles had an alternative, dark cover, grunge-y perhaps, very artistic, and I think it was in agreement with their sound and image back then.
Then, they started to experiment with a happier sound, more pop sounding and added electronic beats and a psychedelic sound (esp. CALL MY NAME) and their album and singles cover reflected this evolution.
This change was very noticeable in the band's image aswell, as they started dressing in more vivid colors, used elements like glitter and magical stuff in their promo pics in magazines.

Anyway, this is not my point, I just think that their covers have always been a reflection of their style. Progressively (since Angel Song) they started to appear in some of their covers, especially Tommy, which is ok, she's probably 50% of the image of the group, although they have always said that they want to be seen as a band rather than Tommy and the guys, and she has been allegedly upset when years ago, in photoshoots they centered the attention on her leaving Ryo and Shunsaku on a side.

Apparently this has changed, if we take the last 2 singles as a reference. It's all about Tommy. There are no more paintings or scribble, no more flowers or psychedelic images, but Tommy looking cool, sitting on a motorbike, for instance. And I miss the old style of their covers.

Since their comeback I think they care much more about showing a cool image (think Tommy with different outfits in the PV of Stand by me, or the whole ASH LIKE SNOW PV and promo pics). I think the change is evident. Still I love their music.

I just wanted to see your thoughts on this, maybe I'm overreacting. Very Happy


Last edited by sergius on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
sergius

Male Number of posts : 56
Age : 30
Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2008-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Synchronicity on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:39 am

you're totally not over-reacting. Tommy is dominating. but what can I say...I don't mind much. Tommy is Wayyyyy better looking then the guys. She's part of what sells the albums. In other words they're playing more the Japanese market now. Not only in art direction, but also in music sound. Ash like Snow is very Japanese mainstream.
avatar
Synchronicity

Male Number of posts : 958
Age : 23
Location : NYC
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://saintnichts.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Sneakglove on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:39 am

I agree with both comments so far, this is indeed something I have noticed too, not just with the CD covers, but with the PV's also. They all seem to be very Tommy-centric. This seems to have occured more since the start of Tommys solo projects. I think Sony see Tommy as a brand, and that her image will sell more records.
This is a big shame for me, as I concur with Sergius, and miss the old TBG style. Like whenever I watch the DVD's, I sometimes stop after I'M SO SORRY BABY, as I feel the other 3 videos are more like a fashion show with Ryo and Shun standing as clothes dummies either side of Tommy.
Anyhow I think the guys would be part of this decision, and be quite happy to just stand and play along.

_________________
Even though we live apart we're connected with our songs.
avatar
Sneakglove
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1713
Age : 42
Location : Robin Hood Country
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://forevertommy.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by sergius on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:14 am

Sneakglove wrote:as I feel the other 3 videos are more like a fashion show with Ryo and Shun standing as clothes dummies either side of Tommy.
Exactly, and I know this is part of the mainstream Japanese market but what I think is that, even though Tommy might be more known for the Japanese audience because of her solo projects, this won't necessarily make the band more succesful.
Tommy's last solo singles weren't big hits (I LOVE XMAS #29, Heavy Starry Chain #20).
There will be love, tsumetai hana and sono supiido de, on the other hand were all #1 and all it took was good songs and a good tie-in (two of them were opening themes for doramas, the other was opening of CDTV).
I would like them to go back to their roots, on that sense. Like a Star @ heaven
avatar
sergius

Male Number of posts : 56
Age : 30
Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2008-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Synchronicity on Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:07 pm

well it is possible that they do a post bye bye mr. mug album. Which mean more stuff like bye bye mr. mug. Honestly, i know you guys are more into indies kinda stuff, but i do like the japnaese pop music. I listen to Namie Amuro, and Kumi Koda and stuff like that, so i don't exactly mind the Tommy...ness. Or more like I'm used to it.
avatar
Synchronicity

Male Number of posts : 958
Age : 23
Location : NYC
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://saintnichts.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Sneakglove on Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:49 pm

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH you said the K word, thats 1 in the swear box please. Never mention that name in the same breath as Tommy, never ever again. Evil or Very Mad

_________________
Even though we live apart we're connected with our songs.
avatar
Sneakglove
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1713
Age : 42
Location : Robin Hood Country
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://forevertommy.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Synchronicity on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:18 pm

you mean Kumi Koda? haha, i like her even though she's a total slut. actually I'm listening to her right now.

but don't worry she doesn't even come close to Tommy in any way shape or form.

you don't have an issue with Namie do you?cuz I really like her.
avatar
Synchronicity

Male Number of posts : 958
Age : 23
Location : NYC
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://saintnichts.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Sneakglove on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:01 pm

Yahh! You said it agian, thats 2. Turn her off, she'll pollute your brain.

As for namie, well I better not say anything.

_________________
Even though we live apart we're connected with our songs.
avatar
Sneakglove
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1713
Age : 42
Location : Robin Hood Country
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://forevertommy.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Synchronicity on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:32 am

oh Namie's not bad.Her msuic videos are pretty artistic at times. have you seen "do me more"? it's an awesome music video.

don't worry, i really don't like the...forbidden artist much. I like exactly...5 of her songs. the rest are...bleh. Did you like have a bad experience with her? you seem to really hate her.
avatar
Synchronicity

Male Number of posts : 958
Age : 23
Location : NYC
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://saintnichts.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Synchronicity on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:34 am

oh! and I don't have any euros. I am (unfortunately) american.

not that I don't like America, but our countries pretty screwed up, and there are so many countries I'd rather live.
avatar
Synchronicity

Male Number of posts : 958
Age : 23
Location : NYC
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://saintnichts.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Sneakglove on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:40 am

Apologies for getting off topic a little here, but I just don't like that 'hip hop'/'R&B' type of music. I am a pretty big music snob when it comes to it.

And if you think America is screwed up, try living here.

_________________
Even though we live apart we're connected with our songs.
avatar
Sneakglove
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1713
Age : 42
Location : Robin Hood Country
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://forevertommy.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by sergius on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:54 am

hey guys! you're ignoring my topic! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

just kidding clown
and btw, I like some of KK and Namie's songs, too! Cool
avatar
sergius

Male Number of posts : 56
Age : 30
Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2008-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by tomoko_chan on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:03 am

Although I like some of *forbidden name* songs, I hate her!! >.<

Did you know that scandal about the vaginal fluids?? She's an arrogant and selfish person!

Fame has gone to her head, and she needs something or someone to keep this arrogance. If she's so famous is because she shows too much flesh and fans love it. I wonder if she will keep this fame if she puts a normal jeans and a non-showing-breasts t-shirt.

About buriguri: since Tommy February6, Tommy has made the most of her great look, and basically she was a 50% or 40% image (I'm hearing some fans shouting at me T^T). February's performances weren't as good as buriguri's or Heavenly's ones, but she was quite successful because of her cute and childish image and her lovely cheerleaders.

Nowadays music industry is very competitive and buriguri must "keep updated" about fashion, because all artists and bands do. Although they have their most devoted fans in japan, they would only keep this fans and maybe some more if they do like years before. I think they take care about this image because they want to reach younger fans, whose really care about fashion and "cool" things.

I would really love to see buriguri like before too, but I think is quite impossible in a competitive world as japanese music industry is. And the "I don't care about rankings!" thing is nice from you guys, but is really important for the band if they want to keep doing music.

Hope it hasn't been much boring XDD
avatar
tomoko_chan

Female Number of posts : 737
Age : 25
Location : Violet scary moon ^^
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://www.lollipopgirl.es.tl

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by kilix on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:53 pm

What I think is that if now, the recent stuff is centered on Tommy ... it's because of the fans !! Yes I mean us: here in overseas side or the fans in Japan ! Why I say that ? For a lot of reasons !! Neutral

Since I know the brilliant green and Tommy, I browsed a lot of forums and gave a lot of discussions online or offline and the result is that in 75% of the cases it's all about Tommy !!! And I have some examples:
- even if I'm in the same case than everyone, too much people is focused on Tommy's look or clothes she wears ! In a discussion that I may have, one of the protagonists will start soon or later to talk about how pretty she is (and of course she is) and the musical aspect is almost dodged !! This is very disturbing because Ryo and Shunsaku are like phantoms whereas it's them who make this great music ! Crying or Very sad
- then the "web problem" ! I call it like that ^^ because it could be what it is the more in evidence for Sony, DefSTAR or our musicians themselves !
Indeed fan sites are TOO MUCH focused on Tommy, just look at the names of these sites and all is said ... or almost !! ^^' (that's why I called my site without a reference to Tommy's person ! Wink )
Even inside forums it's obvious and you must dig to find some good discussion about the guys ! Look for example at the members avatars: Tommy here, Tommy there ... very rare to see a single hair of Ryo or Leader !
Even here on this forum I didn't see a topic or a single post about the birthday of Tommy's husband the past 11 July; or the topic about Ryo's work for 9nine I opened ... it has almost no reactions ... it's very depressing !
The BBS that disappeared on official sites got the same problem: all for Tommy ! A big proof was the birthday wishes for Tommy, we were near 100 messages as well I can remember ... but when Ryo's birth appeared 5 days later I saw only ... 4 or 5 messages !! Mad

Well all this text to say that all these signs are perfectly known by their label, Sony bosses or by Tommy and the guys through mails, web, etc ... feedbacks ! In return we have what we deserve: a focus on Tommy ! But the ironic thing is that some fans are complaining of that situation but they are the same who focus on Tommy !! Laughing
And all of this is not because of the start of Tommy solo projects because between "Los Angeles" and "THE WINTER ALBUM" eras we got a big success with Tommy february6 debut and still ... after this solo start we have never seen Ryo, Shunsaku and Tommy so close like good old friends while the "TWA" period ... just take the promotion, clip or image they gave around "I'M SO SORRY BABY" or "TWA" album ... they are like fingers of a same hand !! Cool

Conclusion: it's up to us to change their style for future stuff we really wish ! How ? ... through our behaviour ! Very Happy Wink

tomoko_chan wrote:February's performances weren't as good as buriguri's or Heavenly's ones, ...
Rolling Eyes
what kind of performances are you talking about to be able to say that ?! Neutral

kilix

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Synchronicity on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:36 am

umm how bout the ones where she lip syncs I mean don't get me wrong I love the girl, but I mean did she really have top lip sync those songs? it really disappoints me (even if she did do some lives where she actually sang).

but anyway, I kinda agree that when people think of Buri Guri they forget the music and go straight to Tommy, but it's the way people are. basically no way we can change that. It happens with the majority of bands the cute girl singer gets most recognized, and the band mates are left in the dust. Nothing new here. Also not much we can do.I think we should accept it actually becuase in the long run, yes, their image may be changeing, and even their music a little, but I don't think it'll ever change enough for Tommy to become anything like the forbidden slut artist some of us kinda like. I think we can always have the piece of mind that Tommy will never be a slut, and they buri guri will always produce cool interesting new music. weather it becomes a little more mainstream or not. Like Tomoko-chan said, we can't do anything about the Japanese music market. It's either buri guri changes a little or they suffer in the charts.
avatar
Synchronicity

Male Number of posts : 958
Age : 23
Location : NYC
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://saintnichts.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Sneakglove on Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:37 am

@kilix

Amidst all that rubbish you actually make a good point, but I think you could have done it in one sentance and without insulting a certain number of people. Oh well, there you go... Rolling Eyes

_________________
Even though we live apart we're connected with our songs.
avatar
Sneakglove
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1713
Age : 42
Location : Robin Hood Country
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://forevertommy.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by kilix on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:56 am

Eden'slotus wrote:umm how bout the ones where she lip syncs I mean don't get me wrong I love the girl, but I mean did she really have top lip sync those songs? it really disappoints me (even if she did do some lives where she actually sang).
yes you're right ! But when she lip syncs as Tommy february6 she's dancing and has a nice choreography most of the time (and maybe you noticed that when she really sings as Tf6 the choreography is down-leveled ^^), so it gives an extra bonus to these kind of performances in comparison to Tommy heavenly6 and buriguri performances where she almost never dance ! Wink


Sneakglove wrote:@kilix

Amidst all that rubbish you actually make a good point, but I think you could have done it in one sentance and without insulting a certain number of people. Oh well, there you go... Rolling Eyes
sorry ? What I wrote is "rubbish" ?! Shocked
Furthermore you said that I should did only one sentence instead of all the argumentation and examples I gave in my post ? Ok I see !! This is not the 1st time you say I'm writing too much, I thought it was a forum here in which people can discuss ... but maybe I was wrong to think that ... Neutral

And I stop you now, I didn't insult anyone with my post, you misinterpreted it ... so please don't give me words I didn't pronounce with my post !!! Thank you !

kilix

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Sneakglove on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:26 pm

A bit of an overeacton there, as I did say you made a good point, but I think you went about it the wrong way thats all.

I think it's a bit of a chain reaction, Sony markets the band a certain way, the fans react and shout "We love you Tommy" and Sony hear this and think, hmm this will make us money, so Tommy is thrust to the forefront, and therefore get even more adoration. If they had a good looking male vocalist, it would be exactly the same.

I don't think me calling this forum "Forever Tommy" or having a Tomoko Kawase avatar has any bearing on anything to be honest with you.

_________________
Even though we live apart we're connected with our songs.
avatar
Sneakglove
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1713
Age : 42
Location : Robin Hood Country
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://forevertommy.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Synchronicity on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:22 pm

well a. I would rather see tommy sing live, rather then dance live. the cool thing about her lives are that they're not always exactly like the CD version. like when she screams and stuff on Super Terra 2000? it's pretty freakin' awesome! Twisted Evil

Also Sneakglove made a good point. obviously we all like Tommy best, I mean I'm not gay or anything, but Tommy is gorgeously adorable! So like I was saying, yes their image is changing, but not so much, at this point, to be a big worry.
avatar
Synchronicity

Male Number of posts : 958
Age : 23
Location : NYC
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://saintnichts.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by kilix on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Of course I prefer Tommy too but it's not all about her, each of the guys are as much important as her, thats' what I wanted to say !!
My message was "hey fans don't forget the guys !" because Ryo and Shunsaku are everywhere: they do music for buriguri, Tommy heavenly6, Tommy february6, meister and also for other artists ... so they need more attention by the fans ! Wink

So if the fans show more their love for the guys through: letters, e-mails, BBS (well now it's too late Crying or Very sad ), web fan sites, web fan forums ... well all that could do buzz and talk more of them, I'm sure they will be aware of that and maybe we will have something less centered on Tommy !! ^^


Last edited by kilix on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

kilix

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Sneakglove on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:15 pm

I agree, thats one of the reason I sent Shun a birthday card and letter this year, and I intend to do this for all 3 members from now on.

Anyway thinking about it, image has always been important, just look at the difference between the first 2 maxi singles, and TWBLT PV's and promo's. This image change was surely a plan to get the band noticed.

_________________
Even though we live apart we're connected with our songs.
avatar
Sneakglove
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1713
Age : 42
Location : Robin Hood Country
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://forevertommy.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Anunnunie on Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:49 am

Wow, this is interesting! I'm coming in late in this conversation but I'm glad sergius brought this topic up! It's nice to have a good debate and discussion among buriguri fans. Very Happy

I think there's a multiple amount of reasons for the change in the brilliant green. Some we'll probably never know for sure. I definitely have noticed the shift from the band --> Tommy and those guys. I think Tommy going solo had a lot to do with it because she became a marketing brand in her own right. I mean, she played an artist with a bi-polar disorder. LOVE it. Very Happy

But also, typically in jpop groups, the female lead becomes singled out. No matter how much of a fight the band puts up as a whole, the female/male lead singer gets a more concentrated fanbase. This is a generalization but it happens a lot. Let's face it, Tommy is adorable. Embarassed And Tommy recently mentioned how the recording label was pressuring them to revise their single (which I assume is new because I haven't heard of it before...) right when she's become more a focus on the single covers so perhaps this is the recording label taking more control. To help them gain more popularity?

Or maybe the guys are simply happy to sink out of the limelight. For example, when Dai from Do As Infinity completely removed himself from all of their promotion. Yet he still remained the genius behind the group. He just ... disappeared. Please let that never happen with the brilliant green!

Looking back, I guess I haven't said anything quite new here... oops.

This may seem controversial but ... maybe the brilliant green is just becoming more commercialized? What do you guys think?

And ... I know this is off-topic but I'm also totally against the K-word. But on the other hand, I respect Namie. Laughing
avatar
Anunnunie

Number of posts : 146
Location : East Coast, USA
Registration date : 2008-07-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by kilix on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:17 am

Anunnunie wrote:And Tommy recently mentioned how the recording label was pressuring them to revise their single (which I assume is new because I haven't heard of it before...) right when she's become more a focus on the single covers so perhaps this is the recording label taking more control.
Watch out this story is totally wrong and unwarranted !!
If I remember well it was just a hypothesis made by Mikanomoide concerning the Tommy diary6's last entry in which we can see a picture of Tommy herself; entry about the so-called "secret" which never existed in reality !
Indeed in this entry, Tommy talked in a general manner about how hard it is, for a blog owner, to write honestly about its feelings !! Wink

kilix

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Sneakglove on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:43 pm

kilix wrote:
Anunnunie wrote:And Tommy recently mentioned how the recording label was pressuring them to revise their single (which I assume is new because I haven't heard of it before...) right when she's become more a focus on the single covers so perhaps this is the recording label taking more control.
Watch out this story is totally wrong and unwarranted !!
If I remember well it was just a hypothesis made by Mikanomoide concerning the Tommy diary6's last entry in which we can see a picture of Tommy herself; entry about the so-called "secret" which never existed in reality !
Indeed in this entry, Tommy talked in a general manner about how hard it is, for a blog owner, to write honestly about its feelings !! Wink

Indeed it was hypothesis by my friend mikanomoide, but it was certain that Tommy spoke about not being able to talk openly about certain things, and as there may not have been a secret, then there certainly was things she couldn't mention, as of then. To say it's unwarrented is a little unfair, and over the top really. We should simply say that we would believe this story not to be true now, it was made clear it was hearsay at the time, and it's true that some people took it as the truth, which it may or may not have been, we'll probably never know for certain. There, that sounds better doesn't it.

_________________
Even though we live apart we're connected with our songs.
avatar
Sneakglove
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1713
Age : 42
Location : Robin Hood Country
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://forevertommy.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Anunnunie on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:37 pm

Ooooh, thanks Kilix and Sneakglove for clarifying that! I really had no idea it was misinterpreted. But it makes me feel a lot better that they aren't battling with their label! Very Happy Now I'm even more confused why they haven't released their next awesome single!
avatar
Anunnunie

Number of posts : 146
Location : East Coast, USA
Registration date : 2008-07-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why has their image become more important?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum