Places of Interest(Pictures) Your City/Country..

Go down

Places of Interest(Pictures) Your City/Country..

Post by Starryeyed on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:45 pm

Ok, I thought it would be a nice idea to share some pictures of places people have visited in there country or inside there own city etc. Photographs are more peferable as I believe they are more personal than postcards, but the option is yours to choose. Smile Well, I always say 'A picture can tell a thousand words' and to be honest it is probably a good idea for me, as I seem to waffle alot, haha! like now Smile So, let's start with some pictures from the Leeds Royal Armouries here in Leeds (UK). Now this will probably appeal more to the males in this forum as it deals with armour and weapons, but you never know there maybe some Joan of Arc wannabe's Smile

The Leeds Royal Armoury deals with many cultures such as the Chinese(Terracotta Warriors), Japanese, Indian, African, English and Americian(civil War) among others..

Ok above here is a picture, well a statue of a Japanese Archer taken outside a Teahouse. Now Japanese archery was a skilful art, as many japanese were required to be able to shoot targets from a mounted horse.. difficult to do to say the least. Hmmm..Actually just looking at the photo now, and the outfit..I rather like the man's outfit, It looks impressive! I wonder if I could get myself one of those.. Smile Now I know I shouldn't say this but he does looks rather cute in the outfit haha! I mean the outfit.. Smile Anyway... moving on..

Ok, now here are two pictures of medieval knights involved in a Jousting Tournament. At the Leeds Royal Armouries, and once a year; they would organise a jousting competition. It is usually held in August where the knights would dress up in authentic 14th century clothing and do battle for a maiden's hand. Smile The maiden would drop her handkerchief to signal the joust to begin. It was the task of each of the knights to upturn the opponent using the lance from the mounted horse. You should, if you look closely; be able to see me in my Knights outfit on the forefront of the top photo......haha! only joking! No, haha I think If I was wearing Platemail I might just topple over the horse and fall flat on my face into the mud Smile
People would watch the Jousting competiton from a balcony cheering and waving as the knights rode along the beam with there lances drawn. The competition was well done, but I think the background/setting for this event - (See photo) could have been better haha!

Now above here is a picture of a building called the 'Grange Annex' inside the Leeds University. The Leeds University is actually split into two different venues, held in two different places or campuses. The first campus is deep inside the heart of Leeds, whilst the second campus is outside headingley, or a place known as 'Beckett's Park'. The photo above is of the Beckett Park Campus. Each of the Universities covered different subjects for example; The Main University in Leeds covered subjects such as Mathematics, Science, Biology, Nature etc.. Whilst the Beckett's Park site covered subjects such as Computing, System's Analysis and Design, Programming, Art & Design and Languages etc.. The universities are known collectively as one, yet torn apart due to there locations. Anyway, moving on..

Ok, Now here is a picture of Richmond Castle in Richmond. Now..Now I know what you are thinking...Where is the castle! haha! Yes, well..if you close your eyes now...go on...and now open them, nope didn't work, it didn't materialize Smile Well..yes, this is how shall I say, is the ruins of Richmond Castle. haha! There isn't alot left of this Castle, but there is a beautiful garden to be found here. The only parts left are the tower and the surrounding walls and courtyard. Oh, there is a dungeon too, Don't be scared Smile Moving on..

Ah! Now above is the London Eye found in London. Ah! Sneakglove, Ghitgo, this is where I would take Tommy... Now..Now.. you have to imagine that the red bus isn't there, and it hasn't been raining; and that it is night time with romantic neon lights in the distance. Smile haha! Ah, such a romantic setting.

Here is Trafalgar Square, known to many as a 'meeting point' in London. It is recognisable due to the very lovely water fountain. You may find that when somebody in London asks to meet up with you they will say 'Trafalgar'? Smile Fond memories here, and a great place to relax along with Nelson's column. Moving on...

This is inside the Corn-Exchange in Leeds. Many foreigners can be found inside here, as there are many small gagdets shops selling an assortment of items. Each Red door you can see in the picture is a small shop. If you look closely, you should be able to see the Corn Exchange is actually shaped like a 'Dome'. The Corn exchange use to be a 'Granary'. Such a nice place Smile

Ok, now this photo is taken from the National History Museum in London. Yes, it is a statue of a Tyranosaurus Rex! Don't be scared though, it is a fake one! Oh wait did his eyeball just move Smile Oh my, is he just please to see me or do I look like breakfast to him haha! Anyway..This is not just any Tyranosaurus Rex, Oh noooo..it is a breathing, and vocal T-Rex. haha! Yes, it is suppose to roar and move.. and it does! haha! The people at the Museum also said it will soon smell like a T-Rex too??? haha! I thought..right well..maybe you had too much to drink today? haha Smile hmmm...maybe I'll have to go back here soon to smell the T-Rex, or maybe not! haha! What does a T-Rex smell like anyway???? maybe like a flower Smile

Here is another photo of the National History Museum. The museum is actually split into different sections such as life, nature, ancient history, space, ores/minerals, sealife etc. This photo is actually taken inside the Sea-Life area.

And above is a picture of.... Oh Tommy! Oh.....I don't know how that got in there Smile

Well I hope you all liked the photos. If I find some more I'll add them if there is some interest. Oh dear.. I think I wrote more than I thought here. Maybe I should count the words here so I don't go over 1000, 1....2...3...4..5.. Oh, we are good, ok!

Enjoy the photos!

Last edited by Starryeyed on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:25 pm; edited 9 times in total
Starryeyed

Male Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2009-03-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Places of Interest(Pictures) Your City/Country..

Post by Synchronicity on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:08 pm

Wow nice pics there! seems like it';d be a cool place to visit.

Where I live it's very boring though...
Synchronicity

Male Number of posts : 958
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile http://saintnichts.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by doctorsup on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:43 am

FairyBlueMoon wrote:Wow nice pics there! seems like it';d be a cool place to visit.

Where I live it's very boring though...

I thought you live in upstate NY. There are lots of cool things there, you just have to look.
doctorsup

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-07-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Synchronicity on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:04 am

I do, and there really isn't anything interesting, it's like everyday American suburbia here. Really boring, can't wait to move somewhere more interesting. If I think of something I'll post it, haha!
Synchronicity

Back to top Go down

Post by hidebow on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:32 pm

What a cool pictures! Thanks for the post, Starryeyed.
hidebow
Translator

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-07-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghitgo on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:47 pm

Kelly Clarkson, the winner of the first season of American Idol(ick) is from my hometown.

I would like to go see 2 sights in japan...... the 1:1 scale Gundam

and of course.......um........er.......... Tommy....................... EmbarassedI love you

If you want to come into
my DREAM angel,
If you want to come into
my NIGHTMARE, lets...

Ryo Matsui, you will not be forgotten!
ghitgo

Male Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2008-07-25

View user profile http://tommypicarchive.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by doctorsup on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:21 am

I live in America suburbia too, but the place I live in is sort of interesting because it was first settled almost 300 years ago which makes it old by American standards. In all of the early towns in America that the English settled, one of the first things that was built was a white wooden church on the town commons. Many of these have burned down over the years, but we still have ours.

Most of my extended family lives around New York City which is a few hours from where I live. I go there so often that I take very few pictures of New York. I took this picture of Midtown Manhattan about one month ago from across the Hudson River in New Jersey.

Incidentally, I took the picture above while attending a Japanese Bon festival. These festivals are common on the west cost of the US where most of the Japanese-American population lives, but they are really hard to find on the east cost. The highlight of the festival is the Bon Odori (Bon dance). My wife tells me when she was growing up that they would practice these dances for weeks before the festival began, but if you just show up, you have to follow the leader and hope for the best. Let me tell you, for a non Japanese person like myself, these dances are freakin' hard. Anyway here is a picture of the Bon Odori.

One place that I like to visit is Maine. This is the state in the NE corner of the US. Maine has a lot of natural beauty and great beaches, but the water is very cold. I don't mind the cold water so I love Maine's beaches. For you Europeans here is what the other side of the Atlantic looks like.

I tried to find the most interesting picture that I ever took in Maine, and I think this is it. This complex is called Walkers Point and is the vacation home of the Bush family (The one that our two ex-presidents are members of, not the Beer barons). W was president at the time I took this picture, and so this is as close as you could get without being arrested by the secret service.

One more thing. We Americans also have lots of fake T Rex.

doctorsup

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikanomoide on Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:37 pm

I was born and raised in Shizuoka.
We live in the countryside.
My place is about 40 minutes on foot from the station.
BTW, This picture from 富士市Fuji-si

伊豆 Izu

箱根 Hakone
mikanomoide
Translator

Male Number of posts : 286

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Starryeyed on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:05 am

Ghitgo - I like the Gundam Mech! Reminds me of Battle of the Planets haha! I know Gundam is popular in Japan, the recent PS3 game had sold well over there.

Really lovely landscape shot of the American coast doctorsup! Really nice. But why aren't you dancing in the Bon Festival?? Smile Nice touch with the T-Rex photo too, I don't think I would want to meet him in any forest!

Ah! Shizuoka! A place I would really like to visited along with Kyoto and Kobe. Shizuoka is famous for GREEN TEA and well Mount Fuji too haha! But...I would like to try the Green Tea, suppose to be the best in Japan! Wonderful waterfall too Mikanomoide! Very picturesque!

FairyMoonBlue, maybe you could take a photo next time you are out somewhere? ok? It is your mission Smile ok?

Hidebow, thanks I'm glad you liked them. Here are some more Smile

Ok, above is a picture of York. York is surrounded by a city wall, you should be able to see it in the photo. The purpose of the city wall originally was to stop invaders pillaging land; but in modern day society it is more for stopping the floods in York. The city walls are used as flood defences, as otherwise York would become flooded. Very traditional is York, reminds me of Kyoto(u); a person's heritage Smile

Above is a picture of the 'Planetarium' in London. When you walk inside you can sit and look at..well 'Stars'...very relaxing though, like...you go on a space journey through the stars Smile And well, I like the stars! Also here is Madam Tussauds, a wax museum containing many famous people's portraits. Smile
Starryeyed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by doctorsup on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:46 am

I was dancing, but I could never get my feet and arms to move in the right directions! Embarassed

Mikanomoide I am always impressed by your photographic skills!
doctorsup

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomoko_chan on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:59 am

Here there are some pics of me and my flat mate in the "Sagrada Familia". For everyone coming to Barcelona, it's really worth to see it!! (Even if it's a bit expensive...)

As you may know, the Sagrada Familia it's still under construction!! But in spite of that, it is already such a famous icon from Barcelona. Once you go there, you leave it blaming "why it isn't finished yet? ToT I wanna see the whole thing!!!" but it's just because you love already what is in there. Personally I can't imagine what it will be when it'll be finished, it'll be wonderful. Maybe by the year 2050 or so....! (not kidding, maybe not 2050 but still a lot of time ToT).
tomoko_chan

Female Number of posts : 737

View user profile http://www.lollipopgirl.es.tl

Back to top Go down

Post by shizuenjune2 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:52 am

ahh,lovely pictures everyone,the earth is such a beautiful place.
I'll post pictures of adelaide next time.I've been to london a few times and your pictures make me miss it so much starryeyed ><!
shizuenjune2

Female Number of posts : 470

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Synchronicity on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:32 pm

Oh such beautiful things where you live Tomoko-chan. I wish I lived in Europe Sad
Synchronicity

Back to top Go down

Post by Starryeyed on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:11 am

Oh dear Synchronicity is sad about not living in Europe, whilst Shizuenjune2 misses London. This topic wasn't here to depress people!

I'm sure you will see Europe at some point Synchronicity, see France and the like Smile

Hmmmm...Awwwww well Shizuenjune2, I won't go on about London too much Smile Seems to me, London is a very memorable place for most people who visit. I do try and go down south to London sometimes, but well.. its' a 3 hour journey by train and sometimes well.. I get alittle tired. I'm not as young as I use to be Smile Haha, I remember hmmm...quite a while ago now; I walked from King Cross Station all the way down to southern London where I had a nice cuppa tea with a sandwich. I remember the place, it was a portuguese restaurant! Don't remember the name though Shocked Afterwards I went west, and then well..I stopped for another cuppa tea! haha! Anyway I think you get the idea, I enjoy a cuppa! No, No...I mean I like London! Of course I went into lots of shops too Smile I suppose I knew it was going to be my last time in London for a while so I wanted to take in the sights before I returned home. Oh no, I'm getting depressed now! haha! Only Joking!

Nice photos Tomoko-Chan, at first I thought it was a Cathedral, but it is a Church being built. Very nice architecture, a beautiful building on the inside and the outside. Smile
Starryeyed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomoko_chan on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Starryeyed wrote:
Nice photos Tomoko-Chan, at first I thought it was a Cathedral, but it is a Church being built. Very nice architecture, a beautiful building on the inside and the outside. Smile

Well, it's a church but it's a huge one!! It's been under construction since the 1880's and it carries a lot of work, because its architect died in early 1926. He was aware of that his work wouldn't be finished while he was alive, and he even planned some things that weren't possible at the moment, but that he was sure that they would be in the future. For example, its cloister was designed with special glasses to make it soundproof, even when those glasses didn't exist in the moment he lived.

Every little thing in that church has its own meaning. The triangles on the roof, they are there because of the acoustics of the church, so that everyone could hear clearly what the choir was saying to them.

Copied from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagrada_Fam%C3%ADlia

"A total of eighteen tall towers are called for, representing in ascending order of height the Twelve Apostles, the four Evangelists, the Virgin Mary and, tallest of all, Jesus Christ. The Church will have three grand fašades: the Nativity fašade to the East, the Glory fašade to the South (yet to be completed) and the Passion fašade to the West. The Nativity facade was built before work was interrupted in 1935 and bears the most direct GaudÝ influence. "

I don't believe in christianity, but this is a huge good work for Antoni Gaudi. I appreciate it very much, every little detail has been thought for a purpose and it has a meaning, that's what I like the most. I feel like reading a book and his story in its walls.

This is a bigger picture of how the Sagrada Familia will be:

tomoko_chan

Female Number of posts : 737

View user profile http://www.lollipopgirl.es.tl

Back to top Go down

Post by Starryeyed on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:06 am

Looks magnificent TC, wonderful outside shot in the photo above! haha, yes the Wiki page was where I found out it was a church Smile Interesting how the church is many things all rolled into one though, and how the designer wanted to add extra features even though he knew he wouldn't be alive to see it. Maybe a maker before his time. In a way Tomoko-chan, the building is a monument, or a tribute to the designers great work from past years. It is a pity the original designer won't be able to see his own creation in its' full glory though once it is finished. But...like a breath of fresh air, I'm sure he would have been proud of the end result. Hmmm...It could also be a tribute to all the designers who worked on the project from start to finish, each with there names engraved on the surrounding walls, remembrance. A very, very nice building TC!

Now, once I learn how to fly, have my own private jet, and fly over with it..I will land on the field in front and admire all its' beauty in all its' glory Smile then, I could go inside and take 722 photos(my camera's limit), and then take off and do two laps around the building, like in a Walt Disney movie; and then jet off! Or..well..I could just travel to barcelona by plane and forget about learning to fly Smile Either way, or by boat; it would be very hmmm..picturesque Smile Thank you for sharing the photos TC Wink
Starryeyed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Level masteR on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:34 am

Here are some picture I have taken from Holmenkollen March this year.

Here is the new Holmenkollbakken (Holmenkollen ski jump See link).
There have been ski jumping here since 1892.

And yes, we are born with skis on.

Oslofjorden from Voksenkollen.
Link: Oslofjord

Oslofjorden again. The large building in the foreground is where Eurovision Song Contest 2010 was held.
Link: Telenor Arena

This is the city of Oslo, the capital of Norway. I will take some more picture's form the city later.

This is in Vestmarka, west of Oslo. In the horizon you can see a snowy mountain, which I think is Norefjell.
As you can see, there are a lot of forest around Oslo. There are forest is on all sides of the city and the forest areas are called:

North: Nordmarka (This is ware I live. At the edge of Oslo).
East: ěstmarka
South: S°rmarka
West: Vestmarka

More pictures later. Smile
Level masteR

Male Number of posts : 105

View user profile http://www.shibuya.no

Back to top Go down

Post by Papermoon on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:08 pm

Oh wow......these pictures are really nice. I would like to try to post some up sometime.
Papermoon

Female Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2009-02-26

View user profile http://b-r-i-s-e-l.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneakglove on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:54 pm

Great pictures dude. I have always wanted to go to Norway since watching Michael Palin's "Pole to Pole" series on DVD. One day I will drive to Tromso...

Admin

Male Number of posts : 1713

View user profile http://forevertommy.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down